With the exception of a Head of State or Government who qualifies for an A1 visa regardless of the purpose of his or her visit to the United States, the type of visa required by a diplomat or other government official depends upon his or her reason for entering the United States.
Members of Diplomatic Missions
Regardless of the purpose of travel, the following applicants, or a designated representative, may submit documents Monday-Friday at 2:00 P.M. without an appointment:
- International staff of diplomatic missions with embassies or consulates in Ukraine.
- International staff from a recognized international organization, such as UN, IMF, World Bank, WHO, etc.
- Local staff members travelling on official business on behalf of a mission or international organization. NOTE: Local staff members traveling for personal business or tourism must use the usual application process.
After reviewing all documents, the Consular employee will inform the applicant or his/her representative if an interview is required, and if so, will set a time and date for the interview.
After the interview, the applicant can choose to return in person or send a representative to pick up the passport from the Consular Section when the visa is ready.
Passports are usually ready to be picked up from the Consular Section within 5 business days of the visa interview. Please plan your travel accordingly.
Officials from the Ukrainian government who are going to the U.S. on official government business will need a Note Verbale from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) that can be submitted by the MFA designated courier or official (numbered) support letter signed by an MFA-authorized officer from their respective ministry. If a Note Verbale or support letter cannot be provided, please arrange visa interviews through the call center.
Diplomatic Visa Categories
- A1 – Ambassador, Heads of State, career diplomatic or consular officer, and members of immediate family
- A2 – Other foreign government official or employee, and members of immediate family
- A3 – Attendant, servant, or personal employee of A1 and A2, and members of immediate family
- C2 – Applicant in transit to United Nations Headquarters
- C3 – Foreign government official, members of immediate family, attendant, servant, or personal employee in transit
- G1 – Permanent representative to international organization
- G2 – Temporary representative to international organization
- G3 – Representative of non-recognized or non-member government to international organization
- G4 – Employee of international organization and family
- G5 – Attendant, servant or personal employee of G1, G2, G3, G4 visa holder and members of immediate family
- DS-160 (NOTE: Applicants are not required to pay the MRV fee in advance. If the fee is required, the applicant or representative will be informed at the time of document submission).
- International Travel Passport
- Note Verbale
- For A3, G5 visa applicants only: the printable version of the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Act (WWTVPRA) pamphlet. NOTE: If you are applying for A3, G5 visas, it is required to carefully read and become familiar with the pamphlet BEFORE the visa interview.