Fiancé(e) Visa

Thousands of Americans visit Ukrainian dating websites and Ukrainian marriage agency websites every year hoping to find a Ukrainian bride or groom. Before you start the K1 visa process, please be aware that the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine regularly receives reports from Americans who believe they were the victims of fraud.   In most cases the American states that they have been sending money for long periods of time to someone in Ukraine purporting to be romantically interested in them, but that apparently have no intention of marrying them.  For more information about possible marriage/dating fraud, please see this report from the FBI.

To begin the K-1 process, a petition must be filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.  Please refer to their website for current instructions.  The children of your fiancé (e) must be listed in the petition even if they will not be traveling at this time. USCIS sets the requirements for petition approval.  Petitions for K-1 visas cannot be filed or approved outside the United States.

If you have additional questions about filing a petition and the conditions of its approval, please direct your inquiries to the local USCIS office or review the USCIS website.

Please remember that approval of the petition is only the first phase of the process and petition approval is not the same as visa approval.  The petition only supplies the basis on which your fiancée can apply for a K visa at the Embassy.  Your fiancée must still establish eligibility to receive a K visa.

When completing the petition, be sure to list all last names your fiancée has used including maiden or prior married names.  Failure to do so will result in a delay of the visa issuance, as additional administrative processing will be required.