Immigrant Visa Inquiries

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

There are several ways you can immigrate to the United States:


  1. Through family relationships. Parents, sons, daughters, brothers, or sisters who are U.S. citizens may file an I-130 immigrant petition on your behalf.
  2. Through employment. An immigrant petition must be filed by your U.S. employer.
  3. Through investment. Foreign citizens who invest at least $500,000 USD in the U.S. economy in defined geographic areas may be eligible to immigrate to the United States.
  4. Through participation in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (commonly called the Diversity Visa Lottery). Interested applicants may visit the Diversity Visa entry website.


You can find more information about each type of immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv website, the U.S. State Department website, or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service website.

The U.S. Embassy cannot advise travelers on shipping pets. However, you can find general information about international pet travel on U.S. carriers on our website.


The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv adjudicates immigrant and nonimmigrant visas for all applicants who reside in Ukraine and have a valid passport. We do not accept civil documents issued in Crimea by occupying Russian authorities, including birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates. Civil documents for life events occurring in Ukraine must be issued by the Ukrainian government.

You may submit documents in English, Ukrainian, or Russian without translation. Original documents that are not in English, Ukrainian, or Russian must be submitted with English translations from a qualified, licensed translator.


In order to ensure the safety of visa applicants and consular staff, petitioners are not permitted to accompany visa applicants to their interviews.

If you accidentally open the medical records package, you will need to return your passport and all supporting documents through TMM-Express courier at your own expense for us to issue a new sealed package. Please include a letter explaining your request for a new package.

The validity of your visa is limited to the expiration of your medical examination results. You must enter the United States before your visa expires. If you cannot enter before that date, contact us to schedule a new appointment to obtain a new visa. You may need to update medical examinations and civil documents and may need to pay the visa fee again.

If you are a lawful permanent resident who has been outside the United States for longer than one year you may apply for an SB-1 visa. For information on the SB-1 visa, visit the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv website. For information on other matters related to lawful permanent residents, including card replacement, visit the USCIS website.

We cannot assess the validity of documents in advance. During the interview, the consular officer will review your documents and inform you of any additional documents we may require. Please be prepared to verify the right to take your child abroad and provide relevant documentation. The government of Ukraine has its own requirements for taking Ukrainian minor children abroad so you should check their document requirements.

An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS approval. Your fiancé(e) should apply for his or her visa within this time period. If your fiancé(e) is unable to submit a visa application within the four-month time period for reasons beyond his or her control, you will need to send us a revalidation letter via e-mail to The revalidation letter must include a statement that you are still willing to marry your fiancé(e), that you are both still legally free to marry, and that you still intend to marry your fiancé(e) within 90 days of arrival to the United States.

No, we only accept medical examination reports from panel physicians at specific contracted clinics in Kyiv. If you have questions about the medical examination, please direct them to the clinic.

After you register your marriage, your U.S. citizen spouse may submit an I-130 petition in the United States. We cannot accept immigrant visa petitions in Kyiv. Additional information about the process is located on our website or on the USCIS website.

Every applicant’s situation is unique so we cannot provide an exact waiting period. On average, the process takes six months to a year.

If you are unable to attend your scheduled visa interview, you may reschedule your interview online at or by contacting the call center at 044-383-80-66 (if calling from Ukraine) or 703-988-7107 (if calling  from the United States). Please note that some visa classes are not eligible for interview rescheduling.

You must pay the USCIS immigrant fee after your visa is approved and before entering the United States. USCIS will not issue your green card until it has received your payment. Though you may still be able to enter the United States even if you have not paid your USCIS immigrant fee, we strongly encourage you to pay the immigrant fee before departing for the United States to avoid complications.

Most applicants who receive immigrant visas (including Diversity Visas) must pay the USCIS immigrant fee. The following visa classes do not have to pay the USCIS immigrant fee: children adopted under the Orphan (IR3/IR4) or Hague Processes (IH3/IH4), Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants who were employed by the U.S. government, returning residents (SB-1), and K-visa holders.

You must pay the USCIS immigrant fee online on the USCIS Immigrant Fee page. Go to the USCIS immigrant fee website for additional information about the immigrant fee.


On June 22, the President signed a Proclamation extending Proclamation 10014, which suspends the entry of certain foreign nationals to the United States through December 31, 2020.  Please refer to the text about Proclamation 10014, extended proclamation, and proclamation information in Ukrainian for additional information.

The Proclamation does not include an exception for Diversity Visa applicants.

The June 22, 2020 Proclamation is an extension of Proclamation 10014, which maintains exceptions for, among others: immigrants seeking to enter as a healthcare professional; spouses, children, and prospective adoptive children of U.S. citizens; lawful permanent residents, and certain Special Immigrant Visa applicants.


Please refer to the full text of Proclamation 10014 and the June 22, 2020 Proclamation for a full list of exceptions.


COVID-19 border closures and suspended visa operations has impacted my immigration to the United States

We have received authorization to resume K visa processing. If the Embassy cancelled your interview as a result of the global pandemic, we will contact you about rescheduling your K-1 or K-2 appointment.

If your immigrant visa was issued before April 23, 2020, you were unable to travel to the United States during your visa validity period due to the global pandemic, and your visa has now expired, you may qualify to have your visa reissued. Please send a copy of your visa, a copy of your passport biographic information, and inform us of when you plan to travel to the United States. We will evaluate each case individually to determine if you qualify to have your visa reissued. If you qualify to have your visa reissued, we will provide you with next steps for scheduling an appointment to pay the visa processing fee and give guidance on the need for a new medical exam or other documents. Please note that if you qualify to have your visa reissued, we cannot guarantee your visa will be reissued within a certain time frame or by a certain date.

Only visa classes that are exempt from the Presidential Proclamations can be processed at this time. If your visa class is not exempt from the Presidential Proclamations, contact the Immigrant Visa unit after December 31, 2020.

Children under the age of 14 do not need to attend the interview in person.