April 20, 2021
The United States announced today that it will provide $155 million in additional development funding to Ukraine through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). In close partnership with Ukraine, USAID will work to improve the lives of the Ukrainian people. The additional resources will be used to address key development challenges in Ukraine, including:
Expand Economic Growth and Improve Health of Ukrainians – $34 million:
- Support Ukraine’s recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic by improving essential health services for Ukrainians;
- Improve transparency and expand economic opportunities in energy, agriculture, and finance to increase investor confidence, attract investment, and improve economic resilience of small and medium enterprises;
- Support development of a land market to drive economic growth and investment in the agrarian sector.
Enhance Anti-Corruption Efforts – $14 million:
- Strengthen reforms and safeguard anti-corruption institutions to counter entrenched interests and ensure all of Ukraine’s resources benefit the Ukrainian people;
- Reduce corrupt practices in the health sector and facilitate Ukraine’s purchases of vital medicines to reduce informal payments by patients and provide access to less expensive, quality medicines;
- Support the continued development of online e-government platforms that simplify access to services and streamline how Ukrainians receive their pensions, unemployment benefits, and more.
Counter Russian Aggression – $63 million:
- Protect human rights and ensure access to justice for the Ukrainians affected by Kremlin-backed aggression in the Crimea and Donbas;
- Reduce Ukraine’s energy and economic dependence on Russia by advancing connections to Europe’s energy grid and strengthening businesses in the East;
- Expand citizen access to high-quality, unbiased information to counter malign influence and disinformation, support European integration, and strengthen democratic processes.
Strengthen Democracy and Governance – $44 million:
- Expand judicial reform to develop a more independent system that guarantees rule of law and equal access to justice so that Ukrainians can feel confident in a more equitable, impartial, and fair judicial system;
- Strengthen newly consolidated communities and expand quality service provision to their residents to advance Ukraine’s decentralization reform efforts;
- Encourage youth leadership, innovation, and engagement in building a democratic, pluralistic, and European-leaning Ukraine.
The U.S. government and the Government of Ukraine remain steadfast in their commitment to the realization of Ukraine’s Euro-Atlantic aspirations, and will continue to work together in support of the people of Ukraine.