Passports for Children Under 16

Please follow the instructions on this page if you are under the age of 16 and you are able to submit your most recent passport with your application.

All children under the age of 16 are required to appear at the Embassy with both parents for all passport services.  If only one parent is able to attend, please see “Application by One Parent” below.  Routine passport applications are accepted by appointment only.

If you seek to be accompanied by a third party, please see more information here.

Application Requirements

Please bring the following documents with you:

  1. Your most recent United States passport – original and copy.
  2. Any foreign passport that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in – original and copy.
  3. Proof of U.S. citizenship (naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate, U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad) – original and copy.
  4. Name change documentation (if applicable) – original and copy with English translation, if issued not in English (i.e. Marriage certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order).
  5. Passport application form DS-11(PDF, 101 KB) : Follow the instructions on this page.  Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper.  Do NOT print this form on the front and back of the same sheet.
  6. One 5×5 cm passport photograph: The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements.  Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable. Photographs must be taken in the last 6 months.
  7. A progression of photos that confirms the identity of the applying child.
  8. Fees: The application fee is U.S. $115.00.  Accepted payment methods are credit card and cash (U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Ukrainian hryvnyas). Please note: we are not authorized to accept personal checks or money orders.

In addition to the requirements listed above, you will be required to submit the following:

  1. Parents’ photo identification – original and copy: parents accompanying their child to the Embassy must submit their valid U.S. or foreign passports.  These will be returned to you at the time of application.
  2. Proof of parentage – original and copy:
    • Certified U.S. state birth certificate (either vital statistics or Department of Health) with parents’ names; or
    • Certified foreign birth certificate (with parents’ names and translation, if necessary); or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) (with parents’ names); or
    • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) (with parents’ names);
    • Adoption decree (with adopting parents’ names); or
    • Court Order establishing custody; or
    • Court Order establishing guardianship.

NOTE: If your name is not the same as your child’s last name or the name listed on your proof of parentage, you must submit documentation that will link your names or link you to the child (marriage/divorce certificate, court order) – original and copy.

Application by One Parent

If only one parent is able to appear, one of the following will be required in addition to all the requirements above:

  1. Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) (PDF, 51.5 KB)  completed by the absent parent must be notarized before a U.S. Notary Public or a U.S. Consular Officer overseas.  Please note that a Form DS-3053 (PDF, 51.5 KB) notarized by a Ukrainian Notary Public will not be accepted.
  2. Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of your ID (valid U.S. or foreign passport, driver’s license, military ID, U.S. Government ID or Alien Resident Card) that you presented to the Notary Public with Form DS-3053.


Form DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent Special Family Circumstances) (PDF, 47.3 KB) completed by the applying parent if the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained. The statement must explain in detail the non-applying parent’s or guardian’s unavailability and recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent. You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document your claim of exigent or special circumstances.

Evidence of the appearing parent’s sole authority to apply for the passport in the form of one of the following:

  •  Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
  • Child’s birth certificate listing only applying parent; or
  • Adoption decree (if applying parent is sole adopting parent); or
  • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (i.e. the absent parent has no access to the child.  Child’s travel must not be restricted by that order); or
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
  • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

Processing Time

The application for a full-validity (five years for children) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer.  You should allow seven working days for your application to be processed.  When the new passport is ready, one of the parents will need to come back to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy to pick it up.  Your child’s old passport must be presented to the Consular Officer to be cancelled and returned to you at this stage.

To have your new passport sent to you by FedEx, please inform the consular employee at the U.S. Embassy when submitting your application.  You will need to complete a delivery form.  Please note that the passport can only be sent to an address in Ukraine.

In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy or Consulate can issue an emergency limited-validity passport.