Please follow the instructions on this page if you are at least 16 years old but have not yet reached your 18th birthday and you are able to submit your most recent passport with your application.
You are required to apply for a renewal passport in person at the American Citizen Services by making an appointment using our online appointment system.
If you seek to be accompanied by a third party, please see more information here.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Your most recent United States passport.
- One of your parents (or a legal guardian) and his/her valid U.S. or foreign passport.
- Any foreign passport that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate, U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad).
- Name change documentation: if you have changed your name since your most recent passport was issued, you will be required to furnish name change documentation. Please follow the Specific Requirements for Changes of Names link for additional application requirements.
- Passport application form DS-11 (PDF, 101 KB): Follow the instructions on this page. Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper. Do NOT print this form on the front and back of the same sheet. Applicants aged 16 and over must sign their own application.
- One 5×5 cm passport photograph: The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable. Photographs must be taken in the last 6 months.
- A progression of photos that confirms the identity of the applying child.
- Fees: The application fee for an applicant aged 16 and over is $145.00. Accepted payment methods are credit card and cash (U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Ukrainian hryvnyas). Please note: we are not authorized to accept personal checks or money orders.
Note: If the applicants have been issued and can present a passport issued for its full validity after their 16th birthday, they are eligible to apply using Form DS-82 (PDF, 88.5 KB) . For minors aged 16 and 17 eligible to renew a passport using Form DS-82, the total fee will be $110.
The application for a full-validity (ten years for minors aged 16-17) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow seven working days for your application to be processed. When the new passport is ready, the applicant will need to come back to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy to pick it up. The old passport must be presented to the Consular Officer. It will be cancelled and returned to the applicant at this stage.
To have your new passport sent to you by FedEx, please inform the consular employee at the U.S. Embassy when submitting your application. You will need to complete a delivery form. Please note that the passport can only be sent to an address in Ukraine.
In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy or Consulate can issue an emergency limited-validity passport.