Passports for Children 16-17

Please follow the instructions on this page if you are at least 16 years old but have not yet reached your 18th birthday and you are able to submit your most recent passport with your application.

Application Requirements

You are required to apply for a renewal passport in person at the American Citizen Services by making an appointment using our online appointment system. One of the parents or a legal guardian must accompany a minor aged 16-17 to the appointment.

If you seek to be accompanied by a third party (apart from your parents), please see more information here.

Please bring the following to your appointment:

1.A completed DS-11 form.Do not sign it.

  • Form DS-11 should be printed out on separate sheets of paper. Do not  print this form on the front and back of the same sheet.
  • All fields must be filled out, including your mailing address in Ukraine and your last U.S. address as the permanent one.
  • Please provide your local cell phone number on the application form.
  • If you have been issued a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) you must provide it on your application.
  • If you have never had the SSN, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
  • If you do not remember your U.S. Social Security Number, please email the Federal Benefits Unit to obtain it before applying for the passport.
  • Please list an emergency contact on the application form. If your emergency contact is in a country other than the U.S., please list the country name next to the city in the “City” field.

2.Your most recent U.S. passport – original and copy.
3.Proof of U.S. citizenship (naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate, U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad) – original and copy.
4. Second proof of identity – original and copy of your valid government-issued ID (foreign passport, driver’s license, etc.).
5.One of your parents (or a legal guardian) and his/her valid U.S. or foreign passport – original and copy.
6. One color 2×2 inch (5×5 cm) photo. Click here for photo requirements. If your photo does not meet the requirements, we will not be able to process your application.
7. Age progression photos that confirm the identity of the applying child.
8. The application fee is $165.00.  Accepted payment methods are credit card and cash (U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Ukrainian hryvnyas). Please note: we are not authorized to accept personal checks or money orders.

Note: If applicants can demonstrate that they have been issued a full validity passport after their 16th birthday, they are eligible to apply using Form DS-82 (PDF, 88.5 KB) . For minors aged 16 and 17 eligible to renew a passport using Form DS-82, the application fee is $130.

Processing Time

The application for a full-validity (ten years for minors aged 16-17) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow three weeks for your application to be processed. When the new passport is ready, the applicant will need to return to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy to pick it up. The old passport must then be presented to the Consular Officer for cancelation.

In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy or Consulate can issue an emergency limited-validity passport. An emergency U.S. passport has a shorter validity than a full-validity passport. NOTE: Some countries do not accept limited validity emergency passports. Other countries’ passport requirement information is available at