One passport photo must accompany all passport applications. An application cannot be processed without an acceptable photo. Please note that U.S. passport photo requirements may differ from Ukrainian or European photo requirements. We are unable to accept any photos that do not meet the specifications below. Please note that vending machine photos and photos printed on a home computer are not acceptable.
- All photographs must be 2 inches by 2 inches (5 cm x 5 cm) excluding any borders.
- Photographs must be taken in the last 6 months.
- Applicant must have a neutral facial expression, with both eyes open.
- Make sure the photo presents the full head from top of hair to bottom of chin; height of head should measure 1 inch to 1-3/8 inches (25mm to 35mm).
- Eye height must be between 1-1/8 inches to 1-3/8 inches (28mm to 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo.
- Photograph background must be white or off-white.
- Applicant image must be centered and facing forward.
- Photographs must be taken in color (NOT black and white).
- Position subject and lighting so that there are no distracting shadows on the face or background.
- Be taken in normal street attire, without a hat or head covering unless a signed statement is submitted by the applicant verifying the item is worn daily for religious purposes or a signed doctor’s statement is submitted verifying the item is used daily for medical purposes.
- Eyeglasses must not be worn except in rare circumstances when eyeglasses cannot be removed for medical reasons; e.g., the applicant has recently had ocular surgery and the eyeglasses are necessary to protect the applicant’s eyes. A medical statement signed by a medical professional/health practitioner must be provided in these cases. If the eyeglasses are accepted for medical reasons:
- a) The frames of the eyeglasses must not cover the eye(s).
- b) There must not be glare on eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
- c) There must not be shadows or refraction from the eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
Your photograph must match the dimensions of the above sample, which is the same as the dimensions on passport application forms DS-11, DS-82, and DS-5504.
A Note About Digitized Photographs
If you choose to submit a digitized photograph, it must meet the passport photograph requirements or it will be rejected. Some printers will produce an unacceptable photograph in which the dots are seen, or the image is grainy. Acceptable photographs are printed on high-quality photographic paper, have a continuous tone image that is very photo-like, and show the subject clearly in focus.
Provided the photograph meets the specified requirements for U.S. passports as listed above, any photographer may take them. The Embassy cannot recommend any specific photographer, or assume any responsibility for their efficiency, integrity, or reliability. Fees and the service provided are a matter solely between you and photographer selected.
Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver’s licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine or mobile phone photos, and full-length photographs are not acceptable.