Passport Renewal by Mail: Special Circumstances (DS-5504)

You may renew your current passport by mail for any of the following special circumstances:

  •  Your current passport is limited and was issued outside the United States in an emergency less than one year ago, and the letter issued at that time specifically mentions you can apply using a DS-5504 application form.
  •  Your passport was issued with a data error (e.g., name, sex, or place of birth) or printing error (e.g., data is missing on the biographical page, discoloration, crooked printing, etc.) and is still valid.
  • You are requesting a name change less than one year after your passport was issued.

Instructions for DS-5504 Processing by Mail:

Step 1: Fill out the Form DS-5504 available online here or as a downloadable PDF.
You must print out and sign the form.

  • Form DS-5504 should be printed out on separate sheets of paper. Do not print this form on the front and back of the same sheet.
  •  All fields must be filled out, including your mailing address in Ukraine (which will be used for courier pass back) and your last U.S. address as the permanent one.
  • Please provide your local cell phone number on the application form so that the courier can get in touch with you when the passport is ready.
  • If you have been issued a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) you must provide it on your application.
  • If you have never had the SSN, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
  • If you do not remember your U.S. Social Security Number, please email the Federal Benefits Unit to restore it before applying for the passport.
  • Please list an emergency contact on the application form. If your emergency contact is in a country other than the U.S., please list the country name next to the city in the “City” field.

Step 2: Include your most recent U.S. passport – original and copy.
Step 3: Include one color 2×2-inch (5cm x 5cm) photo. Click here for photo requirements. If your photo does not meet the requirements, we will not be able to process your application.
Step 4: Include any name change documents (if applicable) – original and copy. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable (ex. Marriage certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order).

Please note that we will return all of your original documents, including the canceled passport.
You will not have to pay any passport application fees. The courier fees apply.

Processing takes about two to three weeks. Please mail your application package for passport book replacement via the courier company Elin Ltd. ((044) 364-0696) to the following address:

American Citizen Services
U.S. Embassy
4 Igor Sikorsky St.
Kyiv 04112
Tel.: +38-044-521-5566

You can check the delivery status of the application directly with the company at (044) 364-0696.