You may renew your current passport on DS-5504 for any of the following special circumstances:
- Your current passport is limited and was issued in an emergency less than one year ago, and the letter issued at that time specifically mentions you can apply using a DS-5504 application form.
- Your passport was issued with a data error (e.g., name, sex, or place of birth) or printing error (e.g., data is missing on the biographical page, discoloration, crooked printing, etc.) and is still valid.
- You are requesting a name change less than one year after your passport was issued.
If you seek to be accompanied by a third party, please see more information here
Instructions for DS-5504 Processing:
- Form DS-5504 should be printed out on separate sheets of paper. Do not print this form on the front and back of the same sheet.
- All fields must be filled out, including your mailing address in Ukraine and your last U.S. address as the permanent one.
- Please provide your local cell phone number on the application form.
- If you have been issued a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) you must provide it on your application.
- If you have never had a SSN, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
- If you do not remember your U.S. Social Security Number, please email the Federal Benefits Unit to obtain it before applying for the passport.
- Please list an emergency contact on the application form. If your emergency contact is in a country other than the U.S., please list the country name next to the city in the “City” field.
Step 2: Include your most recent U.S. passport – original and copy.
Step 3: Include one color 2×2-inch (5cm x 5cm) photo. Click here for photo requirements. If your photo does not meet the requirements, we will not be able to process your application.
Step 4: Include any name change documents (if applicable) – original and copy. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable (ex. Marriage certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order).
Step 5: Make an appointment using our online appointment system.
You will not have to pay any passport application fees. Processing takes about three weeks.
In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy or Consulate can issue an emergency limited-validity passport. An emergency U.S. passport has a shorter validity than a full-validity passport. NOTE: Some countries do not accept limited validity emergency passports. Other countries’ passport requirement information is available at www.travel.state.gov. If your most previous U.S. passport was also an emergency passport, you will need to pay for the second emergency passport.