Lost or Stolen Passports

The loss of a passport in Ukraine is a serious matter.  Without a passport, a traveler faces significant difficulties with hotels, banks, and potentially the police.  In order to replace your passport, you will need to come to the Embassy by making an appointment using our online appointment system.

If you seek to be accompanied by a third party, please see more information here.

You may be eligible for an emergency limited-validity passport, which does not require an appointment to process, if you must travel urgently or have an immediate need for a passport.  In either case, you should submit your application for a replacement passport as soon as possible after the loss or theft is discovered.

Application Requirements

Please bring the following with you when applying for a replacement passport:

    1. Proof of U.S. citizenship:
      • a U.S. birth certificate;
      • naturalization certificate;
      • certificate of citizenship;
      • consular report of birth abroad; or
      • an expired passport;
    2. Proof of Identity
      • a valid passport of any country;
      • a valid driver’s license with photograph;
      • a national identity card with photograph;
      • a valid U.S. or state government ID card; or
      • a U.S. military ID card;
    3. Form DS-11 (Application for a U.S. Passport) (PDF, 101 KB) . Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper; do not print this form on front and back of the same sheet. Please do not sign the passport application until directed to do so by a consular officer;
    4. Form DS-64 (PDF, 51 KB) (Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport) ;
    5. If your passport was stolen, report the theft to the Ukrainian police. You will need a police report to carry with you until you replace the passport;
    6. One 5×5 cm passport photograph: The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable. Photographs must be taken in the last 6 months.
    7. Fees: The application fee for an applicant under the age of 16 is $115.00; aged 16 and over is $145.00.  Accepted payment methods are credit card and cash (U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Ukrainian hryvnyas). Please note: we are not authorized to accept personal checks or money   orders.
    8. If applying for a child under the age of 16, you will also be required to submit both parents’ consent. Please see our information on passports for children under 16 for more information.

Processing Time

An application for a full-validity (ten years for adults; five years for children under age of 16) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow seven working days for your application to be processed. When your new passport is ready, you will need to come back to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy to pick it up.

To have your new passport sent to you by FedEx, please inform the consular employee at the U.S. Embassy when submitting your application.  You will need to complete a delivery form.  Please note that the passport can only be sent to an address in Ukraine.

In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy or Consulate can issue an emergency limited-validity passport.