First Time Applications

Please follow the instructions on this page if you have never had a U.S. passport issued in your own name and you have been issued one of the following documents (If you are no longer in possession of the original document, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority before submitting your application). You are required to apply for the passport in person at the American Citizen Services Unit by making an appointment using our online appointment system.

If you seek to be accompanied by a third party, please see more information here.

NOTE: If you are applying for the first passport for a child under the age of 18 who was born overseas, you must first report the child’s birth. You may apply for the child’s first passport at the same time.

Application Requirements

Please bring the following documents with you:

1.   Proof of U.S. citizenship

  • a U.S. Birth Certificate
  • a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • a U.S. Certification of Birth
  • a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
  • a U.S. Naturalization Certificate

2.   Proof of identity

  • a valid passport of any country
  • a valid driver’s license with photograph
  • a national identity card with photograph
  • a valid U.S. or State government ID card
  • a U.S. military ID card

3.  Any foreign passport that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in.

4.  Your foreign (non U.S.) naturalization certificate: If you have acquired another nationality through naturalization or registration since the issuance of your proof of citizenship

5.  Name change documentation: If you have changed your name since your proof of citizenship was issued, you will be required to furnish name change documentation, i.e. your marriage certificate. If you have changed your name by means other than marriage, please see Specific Requirements for Changes of Name section for additional application requirements

6.  Passport application form DS-11 (PDF, 101 KB): Follow the instructions on this page. Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper. Do NOT print this form on the front and back of the same sheet. Applicants aged 16 and over must sign their own application.

7.  One 5×5 cm passport photograph: The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable. Photographs must be taken in the last 6 months.

8.  Fees: The application fee for an applicant under the age of 16 is U.S. $115.00; aged 16 and over is U.S. $145.00.  Accepted payment methods are credit card and cash (U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Ukrainian hryvnyas). Please note: we are not authorized to accept personal checks or money orders.

Additional documents may be required depending upon the circumstances of your case.

If applying for a child under the age of 16, you will also be required to submit both parents’ consent.  Please see our information on passports for children under 16 for more information.

Processing Time

An application for a full-validity (ten years for adults; five years for children under age of 16) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow seven working days for your application to be processed. When your new passport is ready, you will need to come back to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy to pick it up.

To have your new passport sent to you by FedEx, please inform the consular employee at the U.S. Embassy when submitting your application.  You will need to complete a delivery form.  Please note that the passport can only be sent to an address in Ukraine.

In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy or Consulate can issue an emergency limited-validity passport.