Damaged Passport Replacement

Passports that are damaged or in poor condition should be replaced, regardless of remaining validity. You are required to apply for a renewal passport in person at the American Citizen Services by making an appointment using our online appointment system.

If you seek to be accompanied by a third party, please see more information here.

For security reasons, damaged passports may be retained by this office.

Please bring the following documents with you:

  1. Proof of U.S. citizenship:
    • a U.S. Birth Certificate
    • a U.S. Naturalization Certificate
    • a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
    • a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • an expired U.S. passport
  2. Proof of identity:
    • a valid passport of any country
    • a valid driver’s license with photograph
    • a national identity card with photograph
    • a valid U.S. or State government ID card
    • a U.S. military ID card
  3. Passport application form DS-11 (PDF, 101 KB): Applicants aged 16 and over must sign their own application. Form DS-11 must be printed on separate sheets of paper. Do NOT print this form on the front and back of the same sheet;
  4. One 5×5 cm passport photograph: The Embassy will reject any photographs that do not meet the specified requirements. Vending machine photographs and photographs printed on a home computer are unacceptable. Photographs must be taken in the last 6 months.
  5. Fees: The application fee for an applicant under the age of 16 is U.S. $115.00; aged 16 and over is $145.00.  Accepted payment methods are credit card and cash (U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Ukrainian hryvnyas).  Please note: we are not authorized to accept personal checks or money orders.
  6. If applying for a child under the age of 16, you will also be required to submit both parents’ consent.  Please see our information on passports for children under 16 for more information.

Processing Time

The application for a full-validity (ten years for adults; five years for children under age 16) passport will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. You should allow seven working days for your application to be processed. When your new passport is ready, you will need to come back to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy to pick it up. Your damaged passport must be submitted to the Consular Officer to be cancelled at this stage.

To have your new passport sent to you by FedEx, please inform the consular employee at the U.S. Embassy when submitting your application.  You will need to complete a delivery form.  Please note that the passport can only be sent to an address in Ukraine.

In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy or Consulate can issue an emergency limited-validity passport.