Citizenship Services

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit accepts passport applications by appointment to renew expiring or expired passports, or replace passports that have been lost, stolen, or mutilated.  ACS also accepts applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and first U.S. passports for U.S. citizen children born outside of the United States.  Each U.S. citizen in Ukraine, including children and infants, must have his or her own valid passport.  A lost or stolen passport must be replaced immediately.

U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas do not print full validity passports. Overseas posts accept passport applications and electronically forward them to the National Passport Center in the United States.  The full validity passport is then sent back to the Embassy or Consulate to be issued to the applicant.  The turnaround time for this process is usually from seven to ten business days.

In cases where the applicant must travel urgently or has an immediate need for a passport, the Embassy can issue an emergency passport that is typically valid for one year. The emergency passport can be exchanged later for a full validity passport at an Embassy or Consulate overseas or at a Passport Agency in the United States.  For further information on passport services, please see the Department of State’s website on U.S. passports.

More detailed passport application information can be found in this section. Please contact us at if the information you need is not available here.

What Service Do You Require?

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take in order to renounce or relinquish your U.S. citizenship.

Please note that once the loss of U.S. nationality occurs, expatriates will no longer receive U.S. consular support abroad and will be subject to current visa requirements for future travel to the United States. Additionally, the act of renouncing or relinquishing U.S. citizenship will not allow persons to avoid repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad, i.e. U.S. taxes.

Remember that expatriation is a personal decision and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

Before scheduling an appointment, become familiar with the legal requirements and repercussions of renunciation  and possible expatriating acts. For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service (PDF 180 KB).

Schedule an appointment.

You will need to gather the following documents before scheduling an appointment:

  1. U.S. or foreign birth certificate;
  2. U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  3. Your most recent U.S. passport;
  4. All current foreign passports;
  5. Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States;
  6. Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States;
  7. Change of name documents; and
  8. Completed form DS-4079.

When you have all the required documents, and you are ready to request an appointment please contact us by calling or emailing We will schedule you directly since this is a time-intensive process.

Come to the Embassy for your appointment

The first appointment will be an Initial Information Session with a Consular Officer.  You will need to bring all the gathered documentation listed above. The officer will explain the consequences of renunciation as summarized in Form DS-4081, Statement of Understanding Concerning the Consequences and Ramifications of Relinquishment or Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship. If after discussing the consequences of renunciation, you wish to continue the process you may schedule your second appointment. The period of time between appointments is intended to provide a period for reflection, so that you can think over whether you truly wish to renounce U.S. nationality.

The second appointment will be the renunciation. You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 or equivalent in Ukrainian Hryvnia with the submission of your completed documentation.

Your completed packet will be returned to the Department of State for review and approval.  If approved, the date of expatriation will be determined based on individual circumstances.  In straightforward renunciation cases the Certificate of Loss of Nationality will be dated as of the date the Oath of Renunciation was administered.  It is important to note that this process may take several months to complete, and that while the process is pending you remain a citizen of the United States.

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that U.S. citizenship is a constitutional right that cannot be taken away from a citizen who does not intend to relinquish it.  Therefore, such actions as naturalization in a foreign country, travel on a foreign passport, employment with a foreign government, and voting in a foreign election do not automatically jeopardize U.S. citizenship.

Which Passport to Use

U.S. law requires U.S. citizens, including those with citizenship of another country, to enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports.  Dual nationals may be required by the other country of which they are citizens to enter and leave that country using its passport, but they do not endanger their U.S. citizenship by doing so.

Obligations to Your Other Country of Citizenship

Dual nationality has no effect on your rights or your responsibilities as a U.S. citizen, or on your obligations to the United States (i.e., payment of U.S. taxes if required to do so; registration with Selective Service).  The dual national may also have obligations to his or her other country of citizenship.  Failure to fulfill any such obligations may have little adverse effect on the dual national as long as he or she is in the United States.  However, if the dual national travels to his or her other country of citizenship, he or she may be forced to comply with those obligations.  In addition, if the dual national encounters difficulties in his or her other country of citizenship, the ability of the U.S. Embassy to assist the person may be very limited since the other country may not recognize the dual national’s claim to U.S. citizenship.

Dual Nationality in Ukraine

Ukraine does not recognize dual nationality.  Local authorities will treat dual nationals entering the country on Ukrainian passports as citizens of Ukraine.  This may include fulfilling requirements for mandatory military service.  In addition, individuals who do not relinquish their Ukrainian citizenship upon acquiring U.S. citizenship face potential fines.

For additional information on dual nationality, please visit the State Department website.