Surrogate and other cases involving assisted reproductive technology (ART)

Programs of birth through a surrogate mother are legal and exist in both Ukraine and the U.S.  The U.S. Embassy in Ukraine cannot recommend any particular clinic, but the Ukrainian Association of Reproductive Medicine may be able to provide additional information:

28-a Andriivsky descent, office 204, Kyiv, Ukraine

Phone/fax +38-044-465-10-46

 In order to transmit citizenship to a child born abroad to a surrogate mother, legal parents need to have the original of each document below, along with a photocopy and a certified translation if it is not in English.  All application forms must be fully and accurately completed before the family arrives for an appointment.  Applicants who arrive at the embassy without complete application packages may be turned away.

  • The child’s Ukrainian birth certificate with English translation.
  • A copy of the medical report of birth with English translation. (The medical birth certificate is issued by the hospital where the birth occurred and will list the surrogate mother.)
  • Proof of both parents’ citizenship and identity (a valid U.S. or foreign passport works best).
  • Parents’ original marriage certificate (if applicable) and proof of how any previous marriages ended. All documents not in English should be accompanied by a translation.
  • Evidence of the physical presence in the United States before the child’s birth for the parent (or parents) who is a U.S. citizen and who has a blood relationship to the child.  Evidence that can be submitted includes school transcripts; employment, tax, bank, and medical records; utility bills, rent receipts, or other official documents.  Please submit old passports with U.S entry/exit stamps if available.
  • Proof that a U.S. citizen parent’s genetic material was used in the surrogacy process (documentation from the clinic which performed the procedure), with English translation.
  • Statement from the surrogate mother awarding parental rights to legal parents, with English translation.  Usually, a notarized original must be submitted to the Ukrainian civil state registrar office to get an official Ukrainian birth certificate. A photocopy of that document will be sufficient for the purpose of applying for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • A completed application form DS-2029 for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The form can be found at Please do not sign the application until a Consular Officer requests that you do so at the embassy.

Please Note:   Questions #24 and 25 on form DS-2029 (CRBA) asks for precise periods of time in the United States.  Please list all dates the U.S. citizen parent who is transmitting citizenship has been physically present on U.S. territory prior to the child’s birth. Do not include dates outside of the U.S., even if a trip was for a short period of time.

  • The USD100 application fee. Accepted payment methods are cash, either in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Ukrainian hryvnyas, and credit card.
  • DNA test results confirming parentage; these will be received by the embassy directly from the lab.

The family must select an AABB-accredited laboratory, contact the laboratory directly, and make the necessary arrangements (including payment) for conducting the genetic test.   The use of an AABB-accredited laboratory is required for DNA tests at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. DNA results obtained outside of embassy procedures will not be accepted. While consular staff cannot accept application materials or other supporting documents ahead of your actual CRBA appointment, you may, if you wish, get in touch with a lab from the list in advance and request that its staff send the DNA kit/s to the U.S. embassy directly (Attention: American Citizen Services unit). Also, you can request that, in addition to sending the original results by mail to the embassy, the lab also email the results to us at

Once the U.S. Embassy receives the DNA test kit, the DNA sample collection will be scheduled; please wait for an email from the Consular Section with further instructions. This email will explain two options for scheduling DNA and CRBA appointments:

Option 1 (Preferred):  The Consular Section offers limited special appointments for CRBA applications requiring DNA testing on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (excluding public holidays), beginning at 2:00 pm. Applicants will start with the CRBA application process at 2:00 pm and end with the DNA collection process immediately after between 3:00 pm and 3:30 pm.  Please note that DNA tests must be collected by a qualified panel physician at the U.S. Embassy.

Option 2:  Applicants may schedule their CRBA and DNA collection on separate days.  DNA testing is available Monday-Thursday at either 3:00 pm or 3:30 pm.  Please respond to the email that you will receive with your preferred date and time for DNA collection.   CRBA appointments scheduled separately from DNA testing MUST be scheduled BY THE APPLICANT through the online appointment system.

Please note, scheduling separate appointments for CRBA applications and DNA collection may cause significant delays with processing due to appointment availability and will require you and your family to make two separate trips to the embassy.

For more information, please read the State Department notice, Important Information for U.S. Citizens Considering the Use of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) Abroad, at