Location: Ukraine, countrywide
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv advises U.S. citizens of a growing crime trend across Ukraine. Foreign visitors report being befriended by a previously unknown individual and subsequently becoming ill and/or unconscious after having a drink, and then being robbed. The perpetrator may initially make contact with victims by claiming to be a traveler in need of assistance.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not leave drinks unattended.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Do not display signs of wealth.
- Be vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444