Location: Mariupol, Ukraine
Event: Due to an increase in recent shelling activity in the eastern Ukrainian areas of conflict, including the vicinity of Mariupol in Donetsk Oblast, U.S. government employees are advised to exercise caution and overnight in areas west of that city. In addition, as noted in the Department of State’s Travel Advisory for Ukraine, the U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in Donetsk or Luhansk, because U.S. government employees are restricted from traveling to the eastern parts of those oblasts.
Actions to Take:
- Consider avoiding the area of Mariupol during evening hours.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter