Location: U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine
Event: On June 23, 2019, Kyiv will host a Pride March near the city center in the area between the Opera House and Taras Shevchenko Park. The event is expected to begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 12:30 p.m. Numerous road closures and police checkpoints are expected to be in place, making travel around the city difficult.
Media reports opposition groups have expressed a desire to disrupt this event by conducting counter demonstrations. Press outlets have also reported violent acts against attendees at a related film festival on June 20, 2019.
Embassy staff have been strongly encouraged to avoid the area, if not participating in the parade.
Actions to Take:
- Expect a heavy police presence at metro stations and the parade area.
- Cooperate and comply with local law enforcement instructions.
- U.S. citizens should review their personal security plans. Identify exit routes along the path of the parade.
- Exercise caution if within the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter