Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine (August 22, 2018)
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Event: Ukrainian Independence Day is Friday, August 24. There are numerous events planned throughout Kyiv in celebration of this holiday, including a parade on Khreshatyk Street Friday morning. Expect a heavier than normal police presence in the vicinity of these events. Also expect to encounter street closures, restrictions, and searches of persons and bags.
While the Embassy has no information indicating threats to U.S. facilities or personnel related to these events, we cannot discount the possibility of unexpected public disorder. Note that even peaceful demonstrations can become violent without warning and may attract petty criminals and hooligans.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Cooperate and comply with instructions from local law enforcement.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Note: Twitter will be our primary means of public communication in the event of an emergency.