Location: Throughout Ukraine
Event: ISIS and other extremist groups tend to use holiday periods to further their agenda and conduct attacks. Holidays, and the period leading up to that holiday, can be targeted. During the month of August, the Islamic holiday of Eid-al Adha (August 11-12) and Ukrainian Independence Day (August 24) are examples. Locations that are usually targeted are crowded venues such as public events, nightclubs, rallies or other areas where people congregate. During these periods it is important to be vigilant and use good situational awareness practices.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter