Event: The Department of State continues to caution U.S. citizens of an ongoing heightened threat of missile attacks across Ukraine, including Kyiv and Kyiv Oblast. The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to observe air alarms, shelter appropriately, follow guidance from local authorities, and refer to additional safety information from a previous Security Alert provided below:
- If you hear a loud explosion or if sirens are activated, immediately seek cover.
- If in a home or a building, go to the lowest level of the structure with the fewest exterior walls, windows, and openings; close any doors and sit near an interior wall, away from any windows or openings.
- If you are outdoors, immediately seek cover in a hardened structure; if that is not possible, lie down and cover your head with your hands.
- Be aware that even if the incoming missile or drone is intercepted, falling debris represents a significant risk.
- After the attack, stay away from any debris.
Actions to Take:
- Know the location of your closest shelter or protected space.
- Follow the instructions from local authorities and seek shelter immediately in the event of mortar and/or rocket fire.
- Depart Ukraine when it is safe to do so.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review safety and security alerts for U.S. citizens in Ukraine.
- Have a contingency plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- U.S. Embassy Kyiv
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 1-888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter