Routine Alert – Holiday Travel reminder

Event:  Holiday Travel Reminder  

During this holiday travel season, U.S. citizens should note that many countries, particularly in Europe, currently require proof of COVID-19 vaccination for entry.  U.S. citizens in Ukraine, regardless of residency status, can get vaccinated against COVID-19 and receive an international vaccination certificate.  More information and a list of vaccination locations are available here.  Your travel destinations may also require COVID-testing. For example, as of December 6, 2021, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older, regardless of vaccination status or citizenship, must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within one day of travel. You can find this rule and more on the website of the U.S. State Department. 

We understand that holiday travel can be hectic and would also like to remind you to check your passport’s expiration date. If you are traveling somewhere other than the United States, please keep in mind that many countries require a six-month validity to enter. For more information about international travel, please visit the State Department’s website.  If you need to renew your adult passport, you can now do so by mail. For all other renewals, please follow the directions listed on the Embassy Kyiv website 

If you are traveling with your four-legged members of the family, please note that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have implemented new rules for bringing dogs into the United States. Specifically, as of December 1, 2021, all dogs that have been in a high-risk country, including Ukraine, in the past six months may only enter the United States through an approved port of entry.  More information about this rule and the approved ports of entry can be found on the CDC website 

As always, if you plan to return to Ukraine and have not yet enrolled in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), we strongly encourage you to do so.  STEP is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. You can enroll in or update your information in STEP here. If you are not able to update your information in STEP by yourself, you can reach out to us at, and we can make the update for you.  

Actions to Take: 

For Assistance: ​