Event: Annual Pride events will soon begin in Ukraine, including in Odesa on August 28, Kharkiv on September 12, and Kyiv on September 19. A strong police presence including road closures and checkpoints is expected, which will likely inhibit travel and movements around these areas.
There is potential for violence in the vicinity of these rallies as they have attracted significant negative attention online by extremist groups. These groups have previously disrupted Pride events in Ukraine through counterdemonstrations and physical assaults, and they may incite violence during this year’s events as well.
Please consider taking the following actions:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Exercise caution in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.
- U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine
Tel (380-44) 521 – 5566
After hours (380-44) 521 – 5000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter