January 26, 2022
The security situation in Ukraine continues to be unpredictable due to the increased threat of Russian military action and can deteriorate with little notice. The U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens in Ukraine to consider departing now using commercial or other privately available transportation options.
Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. citizens wishing to depart Ukraine currently have multiple options via commercial flights from all Ukrainian international airports. If you have difficulty securing a flight or need assistance to return to the United States, please contact KyivACS@state.gov for guidance.
The Embassy remains open and able to process U.S. passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and can also provide repatriation loans for U.S. citizens who cannot afford at this time to purchase a commercial ticket to the United States.
If you are a U.S. citizen or parent of a U.S. citizen minor and delaying your departure because of your non-U.S. citizen spouse, your minor child, or you do not have a valid U.S. travel document, please contact us at KyivACS@state.gov.
The Department asks all U.S. citizens in Ukraine to complete an online form so that we may better communicate with you. This is especially important if you plan to remain in Ukraine.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Visit the Embassy’s webpage to view the most recent safety and security alerts for U.S. citizens.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy to contact you in an emergency.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s website for current Travel Advisories. Read the Country Specific Information for Ukraine. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.
- U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine
(380-44) 521 – 5000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter