February 12, 2022
The security situation in Ukraine continues to be unpredictable due to the increased threats of Russian military action and can deteriorate with little notice. U.S. citizens in Ukraine should depart immediately using commercial or other privately available transportation options.
Poland has indicated to the U.S. government that U.S. citizens may now enter Poland through the land border with Ukraine. No advanced approval is required. We encourage those traveling into Poland by land from Ukraine to cross at the Korczowa-Krakovets or Medyka-Shehyni border crossings. U.S. citizens must present a valid U.S. passport and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Travelers are also encouraged to present a negative test result from a PCR or antigen COVID-19 test, which will facilitate entry into Poland.
U.S. citizens wishing to depart Ukraine by land to countries other than Poland should refer to the Message to U.S. Citizens: Ukraine Land Borders. U.S. citizens who decide to remain in Ukraine and who do not depart immediately as advised, should complete this online form so we may better communicate with you. U.S. citizens in Ukraine should be aware that the U.S. government will not be able to evacuate U.S. citizens in the event of Russian military action anywhere in Ukraine.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Visit the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv’s webpage to view the most recent safety and security alerts for U.S. citizens.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)<https://step.state.gov/step/>. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. Embassy to contact you in an emergency.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s website for current Travel Advisories. Read the Country Specific Information for Ukraine. For additional information, refer to the “Traveler’s Checklist” on the State Department’s website.