Event: Updated Entry and Exit Requirements
The Ukrainian government has lifted the entry ban for foreigners. U.S. citizens will be allowed to enter Ukraine if they can demonstrate that they have medical insurance covering all expenses related to COVID-19 treatment while on the territory of Ukraine.
The policy must include reimbursement of expenses related to the treatment of COVID-19 and be valid for the duration of the visit to Ukraine. It must be issued by an insurance company registered in Ukraine, a foreign insurance company with a representative office in Ukraine, or a foreign insurance company with a contractual relationship with a partner insurance company on the territory of Ukraine.
U.S. citizens entering Ukraine will be required to enter into self-quarantine as long as the Ministry of Health considers the United States a country with high incidence of COVID-19. The Ministry will review the list of countries with high incidence every three days and publish any updates on their website. Accordingly, U.S. citizens traveling to Ukraine should check the latest determination prior to travel and be prepared to self-isolate if advised to do so upon arrival.
Currently, all U.S. citizens must self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. When they enter Ukraine, they must have a mobile phone that will work on arrival and download a smartphone application “Diy Vdoma,” through which the Ukrainian authorities will track whether they are complying with the quarantine. The Ukrainian government has stated that foreigners entering the country may also choose to take a COVID-19 test after they arrive in Ukraine, and if the result is negative, they would not be required to continue to self-isolate. Details on where the test may be taken and where the results must be submitted have not yet been published.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Monitor the Ukrainian Health Ministry webpage for updates to the list of countries with high incidence of COVID-19 (click on the АКТУАЛЬНI ДАНI ПО COVID-19 banner to view the list).
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ukraine.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine
Tel (380-44) 521 – 5566
After hours: (380-44) 521 – 5000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter