Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine

Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine (April 8, 2020)

Location:  Ukraine

Event: The U.S. Embassy in Ukraine is finalizing a possible evacuation flight to the United States.  In anticipation of the flight, in order to board the plane you must complete the following forms now, if you have not done so already.  Please note that we will not send a confirmation that we have received your email; do not submit your documents multiple times – we will contact you if there is something missing.

  • Form DS5528 Promissory Note (fill it out electronically and email it back to us at If you are traveling with minor children, you can include them on your own form, no need to fill out separate forms for each child). Please, type in the form in CAPITAL LETTERS.  You will sign the form at the airport.
  • Flight Manifest Form  (fill out online and submit).  Fill out the form for each member of your traveling party.  Please, only submit ONE entry for each person.
  • A copy of your passport/green card/visa/other travel document (attach a photocopy/scan).

We will notify the American community as soon as possible with further details on the date and destination of the flight, which will depart from Kyiv.

Check the validity of your U.S. passport.  If it expires in the next two months, send an email immediately to to schedule an emergency appointment to renew it.  Please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) if you have not already done that.

Who is eligible for evacuation assistance?

  • U.S. Citizens (you will be required to present a U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or any other primary evidence of your U.S. citizenship).
  • Foreign parent or guardian of a minor U.S. citizen (you will be required to present a valid foreign passport, documents listing you as a parent or guardian of a minor U.S. citizen, and visa valid for travel to United States). Only one escort will be allowed, even in families of multiple U.S. citizen children.
  • Foreign minor children and spouses of U.S. citizens (you will be required to present a valid foreign passport, original birth and marriage certificate, and visa valid for entry to the United States).
  • U.S. Legal Permanent Residents (you will be required to present a valid green card and proof that the last time you departed United States was less than a year ago).

Who is NOT eligible for evacuation assistance?

  • Foreign family members of U.S. Legal Permanent Residents who have not yet obtained green cards.
  • Holders of I-688 temporary resident cards, I-688-A and I-688-B employment authorization cards, border crossing cards, or nonimmigrant visas are not eligible for evacuation assistance solely based on those documents.
  • Household servants and nannies are not considered immediate family members and are not eligible for U.S. Government-sponsored evacuation.
  • Pets cannot be accommodated on a U.S. Government charter. We suggest that you make private arrangements for care or transportation of your pets as early as possible. Working animals, such as guide dogs, are not considered pets and will be accommodated if possible.

Actions to Take: