Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine (April 2, 2020)
Event: The Department of State has updated its global Level 4 Health Advisory. At present the Department of State is making every effort to assist U.S. citizens overseas who wish to return to the United States. As the COVID-19 situation develops, our ability to provide such assistance working with commercial airlines or arranging for evacuation flights may become more limited or even unavailable.
At this time, the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine is still pursuing evacuation options. We will notify the American community as soon as possible if an option becomes available. There is no guarantee that the Department of State will be able to continue to provide repatriation assistance, and transportation options to the United States may be unavailable in the future. If a flight becomes available and you choose to remain overseas, you should be prepared to remain where you are for the foreseeable future.
Please note that cost and final destination of a potential evacuation flight are still unknown. All passengers will have to sign a promissory note to repay the U.S. government for the cost of their tickets before boarding. The price for a ticket has also not been determined but will be set at Fair Market Value. The price will be the same for all passengers signing the promissory note (DS-5528).
Please email us at KyivUSCitizen@state.gov by 12:00 p.m. (noon) tomorrow, Friday, April 3, if you intend to take an evacuation flight to the United States if it is offered. We will strive to give as much advance notice as we can, but you need to be prepared to travel on short notice. The flight would depart from Kyiv. If you are not in Kyiv, please let us know if you may need assistance getting here, and we will review possible options.
Your email message should include the following information:
- Your full name as spelled in your passport
- Information we can use to contact you now – a current phone number and email address.
- Your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Your passport number, and its date of issuance and expiration. If it is not a U.S. passport, please note the country that issued it. Please also note any non-U.S. citizen immediate family members traveling with you.
- Please note your current location (city and country) and any special needs you may have, such as medical issues.
- Your travel plans and whether or not you are requesting financial assistance from the U.S. Government (please be aware that financial assistance is a loan and must be repaid).
Please also enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
Ukrainian government officials announced that all passenger air travel in Ukraine, including ongoing repatriation flights, was suspended after March 27. General quarantine procedures in Ukraine have been extended through April 24. Additional information on COVID-19 in Ukraine is available at the Embassy’s webpage.
In the United States, passengers may be subject to CDC screening, health observation, and monitoring requirements upon reentry to the United States. For additional questions, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 Information for Travel page.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Ukraine.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine
4 A.I. Sikorsky St. (formerly Tankova)
04112 Kyiv, Ukraine
Tel (380-44) 521 – 5566
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter