Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
4 Igor Sikorskiy Street
Kyiv Ukraine 04112
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Ukraine focuses primarily on HIV and HIV/TB, and also supports the Global Health Security Initiative and national public health policy and program issues. CDC’s major efforts center on developing the capacity of government and non-government institutions to respond to the AIDS epidemic by providing technical assistance to partners to implement grants from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and the Global Fund. In addition CDC is providing technical assistance to Ukraine’s Ministry of Health to strengthen its national immunization program by addressing the following areas: building technical, leadership, and management capacity; improving partner collaboration and coordination (including enhancing in-country advisory bodies); revising immunization policy; and developing strategies to address vaccine hesitancy, vaccine safety surveillance, and risk communication.
CDC intends to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health in the following activity areas through cooperative agreements:
- Advancing the collection and use of high quality surveillance and program monitoring data for data-driven programming.
- Improving the national blood safety program.
- Strengthening the HIV national reference laboratory and laboratory network, especially in quality management systems.
- Enhancing antiretroviral therapy (ART) capacity through improved delivery systems and improved training capacity.
- Enhancing HIV and HIV/tuberculosis (TB) detection and management.
- Strengthening the capacity of the Ukrainian health workforce to investigate and respond to disease outbreaks through the establishment of a Field Epidemiology Training Program.
- Providing technical assistance for the creation of the National Public Health Center which merged several existing government entities and is responsible for ensuring effective allocation of limited public health resources for maximum public health impact.
- Improving data utilization for national vaccination campaign planning and providing technical assistance on data modelling to ensure strategic distribution of national vaccine stocks.