Location: Ukraine, countrywide
Event: Over the last 24 hours, protestors in Kyiv, Lviv, Kharkiv, and other cities have held peaceful demonstrations regarding recent government discussions on the war in eastern Ukraine. In Kyiv, the protests have been concentrated at Independence Square (also known as Maidan Nezalezhnosti), the Presidential Administration building located at Bankova 11, and at the Parliament building (Rada). Participation in these events are expected to grow through the weekend.
Additionally, a number of streets will be closed in Kyiv due to the annual Wizz Air Kyiv City Marathon on October 5-6, 2019. Detailed road closure information can be found at https://kyivmarathon.org/en/karti-distantsij/
Actions to Take:
- Exercise caution when traveling around Ukraine.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Expect street closures, restrictions, and searches.
- Be aware of your surroundings and employ good situational awareness skills at all times.
- Follow local law enforcement instructions.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter