Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Event: On Saturday, March 23, a Ukrainian nationalist group plans to demonstrate at Maidan Nezalezhnosti Square (also known as Independence Square), located on Khreschatyk Street near the city center. This group has been linked to violence and public disorder, including clashes with police; earlier this week, members attacked police during a demonstration in another Ukrainian city. Large crowds are expected at Maidan Nezalezhnosti on Saturday; furthermore, this group has been known to move from the Maidan to other Kyiv locations, such as Bankova Street and the Presidential Administration Building.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Expect heavier than normal police presence.
- Expect street closures, restrictions, and searches.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Follow local law enforcement instructions.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter