Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine (January 22, 2019)
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Event: Today, January 22, 2019, marks the 100th anniversary of the unification of eastern and western Ukraine. Numerous Unity Day events throughout Kyiv are expected to create heavier than normal vehicle and pedestrian congestion. Delays and increased security are anticipated throughout the city, especially in the vicinity of St. Sophia’s Cathedral, where a concert will take place, and the Paton Bridge, which will host a human chain uniting both banks of the Dnipro River. Some nationalist groups are expected to take part in events.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Expect heavier than normal police presence.
- Expect street closures, restrictions, and searches.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Follow local law enforcement instructions.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter