Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Kyiv, Ukraine:
- Maidan Nezalezhnosti
- Shevchenko Park
- St. Sophia Square
Event: A variety of celebratory events are expected to take place in and around Maidan Nezalezhnosti each day and evening from Sunday, February 18 through Tuesday, February 20, 2018. These events are scheduled to commemorate Ukraine’s Revolution of Dignity. In addition, a separate march is planned for 12:00 on Sunday, February 18, 2018. This event will begin at Shevchenko Park and end at St. Sophia Square. Note that there may also be other spontaneous commemorations and events in Kyiv and other locations in Ukraine during this time.
Local authorities have advised there will be more than 6,000 additional police officers deployed in Kyiv over the next few days. There will be a security perimeter around Maidan Square and St. Sophia Square with security checkpoints and metal detectors. You should expect and plan for extended street and metro station closures around Maidan Nezalezhnosti and Institutska and Khreshatyk streets in downtown Kyiv. Expect also to encounter additional street closures, restrictions, and searches of persons and bags in the areas around the commemoration.
While the Embassy has no information indicating threats to U.S. facilities or personnel related to these events, we cannot discount the possibility of unexpected public disorder. Even peaceful demonstrations may become violent without warning and may attract petty criminals and hooligans.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Always cooperate and comply with instructions from local law enforcement.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Ukraine Country Information
- Enroll in SmartTraveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter