Event: On October 14, and coinciding with the celebration of Ukrainian Defenders Day, far-right groups are planning a large march, with participation possibly numbering in the thousands. The march is currently scheduled to begin at approximately 12:00 p.m. at Taras Shevchenko Park. Although the route has not been published, it will likely move along Khreshchatyk Street and make stops at Independence Square, Alley of the Heavenly Hundred Heroes, and the Office of the President on Bankova Street. Preliminary information and prior experience indicate there is a potential for violence. Expect heavy police presence and major traffic congestion.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the demonstrations
- Expect heavier than normal police presence
- Expect street closures, restrictions, and searches
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of the demonstrations
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local media for updates
- Follow local law enforcement instructions
The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed.