Ask a COVID-19 Question
April 14, 2021
COVID-19 Testing For U.S. Entry
*** Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
A list of COVID Testing Centers in Ukraine can be found here.
City of Kyiv ONLY:
In response to the recent increase in COVID-19 cases, Kyiv city government has introduced stricter quarantine measures starting March 20 until April 30, 2021, which will include the following restrictions:
- Closure of cinemas, theaters, museums, and other cultural establishments
- Closure of shopping malls and stores except for grocery stores, pharmacies, pet stores, shops selling hygiene products and household chemicals
- No religious services, public and sport events
- Limitation of restaurant, cafes, and catering establishments’ operations to “takeaway” mode only
- Beauty salons will operate by appointment only
- Spring break starts early in schools, kindergartens will continue to operate as usual
- Public transportation will work as usual – but with max 50% of seat occupancy
- Ukraine is under an adaptive quarantine until April 30, 2021.
- Wearing masks is mandatory in public transportation and indoor public places. Individuals and establishments can be fined for not complying. Everyone should carry ID.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Ukraine? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- Covid-19 tests are widely available at the expense of the individual. Average cost of a PCR Covid-19 test is 60 USD. Covid-19 test results are available within 24-48 hours and results are delivered via email and text message, as well as in person. The results are available in English.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions, please review the following page https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Ukraine approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- The Ukrainian government has approved the use of AstraZeneca/Covishield, Sinovac Biotech, and Pfizer vaccines in Ukraine. Vaccinations are currently ongoing, and more information on availability and vaccination priorities can be found on the following sites: https://vaccination.covid19.gov.ua/ and https://moz.gov.ua/article/health/jak-zapisatis-do-spisku-ochikuvannja-na-vakcinaciju-proti-covid-19
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- All U.S. citizens entering Ukraine must show:
– a negative PCR test done 72 hours prior to entering Ukraine (NEW: There is no age exemption for this requirement), and
– proof of medical insurance covering all expenses related to COVID-19 treatment while on the territory of Ukraine. Ukrainian health insurance coverage can be purchased online – https://visitukraine.today/. You can find further details and exceptions from this requirement on the Ministry’s website.
– NEW: Foreigners permanently residing in Ukraine, diplomats accredited to Ukraine, refugees, plane/ship crews, and NATO personnel training Ukrainian military are exempt from both requirements.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- All passengers arriving at airports or land borders are subject to multiple temperature screenings.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- All passengers on public transportation are to wear masks. The number of passengers in the transport vehicle must be equal to the number of seats.
Fines for Non-Compliance (if applicable)
- Wearing masks is mandatory on public transportation and indoor public places. Individuals and establishments can be fined for not complying.
- In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in Ukraine, U.S. Embassy Kyiv provides limited routine American Citizen services until further notice. We continue to provide services as resources and local conditions allow. All applicants should schedule appointments for services through the online appointment system. If you are unable to schedule an appointment using the online appointment system, and need an emergency appointment, please send an email to KyivACS@state.gov with details of the request.
- Routine visa services remain suspended until further notice.
- The official website of the Government of Ukraine in English.
- Ukraine’s Cabinet of Ministers COVID-19 website
- Ukraine’s Ministry of Health COVID-19 information
- Ukraine Public Health Center
- Other links:
- COVID-19 Traveler Information page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page