July 19, 2023
Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced a new security assistance package to support Ukraine’s battlefield needs and underscore unwavering U.S. support for Ukraine. This package, which includes critical air defense capabilities and munitions, will be provided as part of the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI).
This USAI package highlights the continued U.S. commitment to meeting Ukraine’s pressing requirements by committing critical near-term capabilities while also building the enduring capacity of Ukraine’s Armed Forces to defend its territory and deter Russian aggression over the mid and long term.
Unlike Presidential Drawdown authority, which DoD has continued to utilize to deliver equipment to Ukraine from DoD stocks at a historic pace, USAI is an authority under which the United States procures capabilities from industry or partners to then send to Ukraine. This announcement represents the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional priority capabilities to Ukraine.
The capabilities in this announcement, which totals $1.3 billion, include:
- Four National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS) and munitions;
- 152mm artillery rounds;
- Mine clearing equipment;
- Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
- Phoenix Ghost and Switchblade Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS);
- Precision aerial munitions;
- Counter-UAS and electronic warfare detection equipment;
- 150 fuel trucks;
- 115 tactical vehicles to tow and haul equipment;
- 50 tactical vehicles to recover equipment;
- Port and harbor security equipment;
- Tactical secure communications systems;
- Support for training, maintenance, and sustainment activities.
The United States will continue to work with its Allies and partners to provide Ukraine with capabilities to meet its immediate battlefield needs and longer-term security assistance requirements.