Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Kyiv, Ukraine (November 26, 2018)
Location: Ukraine, countrywide
Event: A violent protest took place at the Russian Embassy in Kyiv (Povitroflots’kyi Ave. 27) last night following an incident in the Azov sea between Ukrainian and Russian naval forces. Protestors clashed with police and burned tires and a vehicle. Protests continued today at the embassy. In addition, protests were also reported at the Russian consulates in Kharkiv and Odesa.
The U.S. Embassy expects that additional protests may occur throughout Ukraine; even peaceful demonstrations may become violent without warning and attract petty criminals and hooligans. Expect heavier than normal police presence in the vicinity of Russian diplomatic facilities and cultural offices. Also expect to encounter possible street closures, restrictions, and searches.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Comply with instructions from local law enforcement.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Follow Twitter and the U.S. Embassy’s Web page for additional updates.
- U.S. Embassy – Kyiv, Ukraine
+380-44-521-5000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444